San Juan, Puerto Rico, November 3, 2017 – United for Puerto Rico, a private non-profit organization established under the laws of Puerto Rico and created after Hurricane Irma, announced today the award of $750,000 to three non-profit organizations in Puerto Rico: American Red Cross, Chapter of Puerto Rico; Iniciativa Comunitaria, Inc. and Proyecto Nacer.
United for Puerto Rico granted Iniciativa Comunitaria $100,000 for their project Operation Compassion which consists of a mobile clinic to address the needs and medical emergencies of the communities affected by the recent natural disasters. The mobile clinic team will include doctors, medical assistants, psychological service, social workers, pharmacists or pharmacy technicians, nurses, liaison coordinators with medical insurance companies, health promoters, an administrator and administrative assistants.
In addition, the American Red Cross, Chapter of Puerto Rico will receive $500,000. These funds will be used for the disaster relief operation, mostly to identify with authorities the most affected areas, deliver supplies and assist in the recovery of said communities.
Lastly, Proyecto Nacer was granted $150,000 for the purchase of equipment to continue assisting teenage parents and their children in the Bayamón Municipality and its surrounding areas (Toa Baja, Toa Alta, Naranjito, Guaynabo, Cataño, Comerío, etc.)
With these grants, United for Puerto Rico has fulfilled its goal of weekly donations disbursement. To date, United for Puerto Rico has distributed a total of $1,598,944.00.
“We continue granting donations to non-profit organization dedicated to serve individuals and communities in Puerto Rico that have been affected by Hurricanes Irma and Maria,” declared Mariely Rivera, executive director of United for Puerto Rico.
For more information about United for Puerto Rico visit www.unidosporpuertorico.com. Donations can be made by PayPal; wire transfer to Unidos por Puerto Rico/United for Puerto Rico, Account Number: 0108501910 at FirstBank Puerto Rico, Routing Number: 221571473, SWIFT:FBPRPRSJ.
“We encourage non-profit organizations to submit their proposals for consideration at: www.unidosporpuertorico.com. Petitions will be evaluated and approved, on a weekly basis, by the Board of Directors,” Rivera concluded.
ABOUT UNITED FOR PUERTO RICO
United for Puerto Rico, a private non-profit organization established under the laws of Puerto Rico and created after Hurricane Irma, has redoubled its efforts and expanded its mission in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria to aid communities battered by both natural disasters.
- The NGO is certified by the Puerto Rico Treasury Department and has the federal 501c3 certification from the Internal Revenue Service
- Originally conceived by the Office of the First Lady of Puerto Rico, is currently being led by the private sector
Mission: Aid individuals and small businesses devastated by Hurricanes Irma and Maria to accelerate in their recovery by helping meet housing, food and health needs, facilitating that they may rebuild their lives, communities and Puerto Rico.
As part of this effort, the organization will focus on the immediate needs of those who lost their homes and belongings, particularly among the elderly, children and youths, single mother households, the homeless and the disabled.
United for Puerto Rico focuses on raising funds to:
- Provide immediate aid to those with the greatest needs with the goal of meeting their basic needs of housing, food and health in coordination with institutions and FEMA, and complementing the efforts of these and federal benefits available through FEMA.
- Collaborate with NGOs dedicated to serve the key groups identified in our mission since these entities have the structure, experience and capacity to be more efficient in this endeavor.
- Assist small businesses in communities with financial aid to help them resume operations.
- Provide information on available federal assistance programs to the public in general and facilitate that the greatest number of individuals who qualify for aid programs apply for available aid to leverage all the help that can be garnered for those most in need.